Position: Reconnecting to Our Waterways: LEAD ARTISTS
Reports to: ROW Creative Placemaker
Duration: September 15, 2015 – September 15, 2016
Stipend: $1,000 – Contract Employment
Reconnecting to Our Waterways is seeking a Lead Artist for each ROW waterway in Indianapolis (White River, Central Canal, Pleasant Run, Pogues Run, Little Eagle Creek, Fall Creek). Lead Artists will work with the ROW Creative Placemaker to develop and execute quality creative placemaking program interventions that are deliberately and tactfully suited to the specific Indianapolis waterway. Lead Artists will participate in educational activities and engage the Waterway Committee to inform and equip creative placemaking efforts.
- Conspire artistically and strategically in the execution of
- creative placemaking interventions developed by ROW Creative Placemaker.
- Conceptualize, organize, and implement two (2) ROW placemaking activities specific to the culture and characteristics of your Waterway and surrounding community.
- Become better equipped for Placemaking and Tactical Urbanism by participating in a series of Artist workshops and speaker presentations.
- Represent the ROW Aesthetics Committee at your Waterway’s ROW meetings.
- Represent your Waterway Committee at ROW Aesthetics Committee meetings.
Required Experience and Abilities:
- Must have a strong ability to think creatively and formulate a plan for successful implementation of a concept.
- Must show evidence of strong community relationships
- Must have strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to activate and engage artists and community members.
- Experience in social practice art and/or creative placemaking preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working as an artist in the community, specific examples in the Waterway community a plus.
- Strong preference will be placed on artist with strong ties to the community surrounding the waterway.