- This event has passed.
Southeast Side Roadway Workshop
June 2, 2016 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
This workshop will take place in anticipation of the arrival of international artist Peter Gibson (roadsworth.com) to Indianapolis. We will engage the following topics and opportunities for Southeast communities:
- Roadway art on Pleasant Run
- Creating visual interest to reclaim public space
- Locating target areas
- Introduction to the work of Peter Gibson (roadsworth.com)
- Reclaiming Shelby Street
- How do we make Shelby Street more pedestrian friendly?
- How do we address traffic volume/speed concerns?
- Walkability and Bikability Signage
- Identifying pedestrian friendly assets
- Improving awareness of assets
- Mapping wayfinding sign locations
- Create Places For People Neighborhood Initiative
- Identify bike/walkability goals for the Southeast side
- Develop a plan for engaging residents
Places For People – Southeast Side Roadway Series
The Southeast Side of Indianapolis is first and foremost a neighborhood and a community of people. However, when we look at the roadways, much of the infrastructure is oriented towards prioritizing car commuters.Residents, pedestrians, and cyclists seem largely excluded from the equation. What does it look like to imagine our roadways as something more? How can we include places for people to exist and thrive alongside our neighborhood thoroughfares? Capitalizing on the momentum of previous successful placemaking initiatives, we will look for solutions to these questions and more.
This series is presented as part of Big Car Collaborative’s placemaking initiative with Reconnecting to our Waterways. By using methods gleaned from Spark: Monument Circle and the Rethinking Our Streets project with DPW in Mapleton-Fall Creek, we will be envisioning and enacting positive steps toward a more vibrant and inclusive community.
Check out bigcar.org for details on these other events from Places For People – Southeast Side Roadway Series:
“Roadsworth” Peter Gibson Artist Lunch Talk- Friday, June 10, 12:00pm
Gibson will give a lunchtime presentation of his work at the Tube Factory Artspace on Friday, June 10 at 12:00pm and will discuss his process and intentions for the street painting workshop that will be held the following day. A light lunch will be provided.
Street Painting Workshop Saturday, June 11, 12:00-5:00pm
Local artists are invited to take part in this hands-on learning experience. International street artist Peter Gibson will share insights into his creative process and techniques for pavement painting. More details can be found at bigcar.org.