Big Car brings art to people and people to art, sparking creativity in lives to transform communities.
As an adaptive and flexible cultural organization, Big Car draws together people of all backgrounds to promote and perpetuate creativity, invigorate public places, and support better neighborhoods.
Big Car is a creative community builder working to boost urban livability from an engagement-based arts and design perspective.
In partnership with other organizations, Big Car does four main things:
- Build social capital and encourage civic engagement by bringing diverse people together with cultural events and arts-based activities – and by helping develop, support, and retain leaders.
- Share the joy of creativity through engaging, participatory, and collaborative projects, and programs.
- Activate public spaces and places with innovative, surprising, and playful cultural programming: performances, games, exhibitions, and events.
- Collaborate with residents and stakeholders to transform neighborhoods.
- Big Car staff members at the table when ideas start and take shape.
- Team of Creative City Fellows who facilitate and support the work. Fellows drive projects by watching the big picture and communicating with teams involved.
- Volunteer project teams of community leaders and youth leading and supporting projects.
- Creative team handling project-related needs and working as a social entrepreneurship serving other nonprofit clients – helping generate income to support Big Car projects.
Craig McCormick / architect / Blackline Studio
Ursula David / president / Ursula David Homes
John L. Clark / artist & poet / Big Car president emeritus
Jeb Banner / CEO / SmallBox
John P. Clark / visiting assistant professor / IUPUI School of Public & Environmental Affairs
Jeffrey Cufaude / consultant & principal / Idea Architects
Jane Henegar / executive director / Indiana Civil Liberties Union
Wil Marquez / designer and principal / w/purpose Urban + Public Design
Diana Hartley Mutz / director of events and donor relations / Indiana Historical Society
Kipp Normand / artist & community developer / SEND
Sam B. Sutphin / managing partner / White River Venture Partners
David Yosha / filmmaker / Magnet Films
Jim Walker / Executive Director & Founder
Andy Fry / Creative Director
Anne Laker / Program Director
Aryn Schounce / Administrative Engineer
Esteban Ortiz / Immigrant Refugee Service Corp Member
Tom Streit / Supreme Commander of Neighborhood Happiness
Holly Sommers / Designer
Lauren Joyal / Food Fellow
Jarrod Dortch / Far Eastside Ambassador
Sylvia Captain & Ben Sutphin / interns
Download a hi-res versions of the Big Car and Service Center logo: (for approved print ONLY!)
zipped (.ai, .pdf and .psd) – download (2.4mb)